In latin, the name Trasacco “Transquas”, means “on the other side of the water”: the town was born during the 1st century AD thanks to a small group of soldier and fishermen.
The hamlet was administered by two quaestors that collected taxes on behalf of the consuls and lead the army. Between the 4th and the 5th century, the people of Transaquas managed to discourage the barbarians from invading. They camped on the mount Carbonaro and lit plenty of fires to let them think there was a huge military campo.
The first church, dedicated to San Rufino e San Cesidio and managed by the Benedictines of Casamari, was built in the 9th century, but it was immediately destroyed by the Hungarians.
The town, in fact, was devastated multiple times, and the fiercest one was carried by the troops of the cardinal Giovanni da Tagliacozzo in the 15th century. In 1592 the town was attacked again, but this time the locals managed to drive the attackers aways. The plague hit Trasacco in 1656, killing more than 360 people (out of 600) in only two months. The demographic turning point happened after the draining of Lake Fucino, but the bigger population didn’t cause more economic prosperity: from the beginning of the 20th century till the late ‘70s, many people were forced to move to America or Australia.
Today, Trasacco has a population of about 6,000, that slowly incremented after the ’70s. Its economy is based on agriculture, mostly thanks to the cultures of the Fucino Plain. When you come here, be sure not to miss the Basilica of Santi Cesidio and Rufino, the church of Madonna del Perpetuo Soccorso – built in 1652 – and the Sanctuary of Madonna della Candelecchia, built during the 1st century.
Trasacco, one of the largest towns in the Marsica, comes to life in the heart of Fucino. To visit the Basilica of Saints Cesidio and Rufino and the Santuardio della Madonna di Candelecchia, the destination of many pilgrims.