Thanks to the weather’s benevolence and a warm crowd of people, the new Gran Cammino dei Briganti has been inaugurated in Capistrello. About 70 participants followed the path of the Cammino, that lasted two and a half hours. The started at 9 and walked until reaching the bank of the river. The walkers admire the “Graziani” bridge, built by the marshal Rodolfo Graziani in 1938 to finish the Simbruina road that connects Capistrello with the town of Filettino.
Partenza intorno alle 9, la grande carovana ha ridisceso il crostone del fiume fino a raggiungerne la sponda. After a while they encountered the old mill and then later the Emissary, an extraordinary work of engineering through which once flowed the waters of the Fucino. Every break has been made special by the precious tales of the archaeologist Fabrizio Petroni.
Once back in town, the group climbed up the Giorgie to reach the cableway installed in 1925 with a cost of 4 million liras (according to an article from the paper Risorgimento di Abruzzo e Molise). The cableway was built by a company from Milan, and it is 6 kms long. It links Colle Mozzone (1836 mts of haltitude) to Capistrello (720 mts), and in the past was used to transport wood to the various sawmills of the area.
At the end of the hike, the group joined an aperitif in the main square and the Cammino was officially inaugurated to open the 28 days long hike ideated by Luca Giaraotti that will cross 5 regions.